Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours 50 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
Skill Level: Easy
2 large brown onions
¾ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
200g granny smith apples peeled and roughly diced
2 sprigs of rosemary stripped
¼ cup Verjuice
1 jar apple & mint jelly
⅔ cup roasted hazelnuts roughly chopped
½ cup flat-leaf parsley roughly chopped
4 cup sourdough breadcrumbs coarse and softly packed
to season sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
6.5kg free range corn fed turkey
1 teaspoon unbleached plain flour
1 extra-large oven bag
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- To make the stuffing, roughly chop the onions. Add ½ cup of the Extra Virgin Olive Oil to the pan and cook the onions until lightly burnished. Add the apple and rosemary and cook for a further 4 minutes before deglazing the pan with ½ of the Verjuice.
- In a large bowl, place the Apple & Mint Jelly, hazelnuts, parsley, breadcrumbs, warm onion mixture, salt, and pepper and mix to combine.
- Fill the cavity of the turkey with the stuffing and truss the legs together well with kitchen twine.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining amount of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Verjuice, whisk together well, and set aside.
- Put the flour into the oven bag and shake. Season Turkey with sea salt, slide into the oven bag, and tie the end of the bag well with kitchen string.
- Bake the turkey in the oven bag on a baking dish for 2 ¼ hours or until the internal temperature has reached 60C using a digital thermometer. Open up the oven bag to expose the turkey breast and brush with the Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Verjuice mixture. Increase the oven temperature to 200°C and bake for a further 15 minutes for a golden brown colour on the skin.
- Remove the turkey from the oven and carefully pour off all the juices and fat into a jug, then place into the fridge to set. Once the fat has set on the surface, scoop off the top and reserve the remainder of the juices to serve.
- Meanwhile, rest the turkey breast side down for 40 minutes to 1 hour in its oven bag. The turkey will retain its heat during the resting time, so reheating isn’t necessary.
- Carve turkey and serve with warm juices and stuffing.
- Turkey free-range
Camberwell Market Fresh Fruit & Veg
Granny smith apples
- Brown onions
Nick & Sue’s Gourmet Deli or Camberwell Deli
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Apple & mint jelly
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Sweeties Fruit & Nuts
- Roasted hazelnuts
Unbleached plain flour
Extra-large oven bag