Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Cuisine: Aussie Summer Entertaining
Skill Level: Easy
- 1 whole fresh 1.2 kg snapper
- 2 whole fennel bulbs
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 large red chilli per fish
- 100 ml quality olive oil you can find
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 100 ml of white wine
- 600g kipfler potatoes
- For the Sauce Vierge you’ll need
- 1 whole lemon to juice and zest
- 1 punnet of cherry tomatoes
1 punnet of pear tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of baby capers
- 100g pitted black olives
- 100g of pitted green olives
- ½ half bunch fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic
- For the fennel salad you’ll need
- 1 whole fennel bulb with fronds
- 1 whole orange
- ½ bunch chives
- ¼ bunch fresh flat parsley
- ¼ bunch fresh mint
- 50 ml quality olive oil
- sea salt flakes
- freshly ground black pepper
- Wash the fish thoroughly then pat dry with kitchen paper, inside and outside
- Cut the fish at a 45-degree angle several times on each side
- Wash, peel and slice two of the fennel bulbs into 1 centimetre thick slices.
- Toast the coriander and fennel seeds lightly and crush with the side of your kitchen knife
- Next you’ll want to heat your 100 ml of olive oil in a heavy pan and GENTLY fry the fennel slices with 2 cloves of roughly chopped garlic and your chopped chilli
- When the fennel begins to colour slightly and become translucent, simply transfer it to a deep baking tray and season the fennel with salt, pepper and the crushed seeds.
- Arrange the fish on top of the fennel, then add the white wine to the baking tray.
- Cover the entire baking tray with foil and fold over the edges to ensure it is sealed.
- Place the tray in the pre-heated oven at 180 degrees C for 15 minutes
To make the Sauce Vierge:
- Cut the tomatoes in half lengthwise and cut the olives into a rough dice
- Mix the olives, tomatoes, 2 cloves of crushed garlic, baby capers, lemon zest and juice together in a bowl and reserve.
To make the salad:
- Finely slice the washed and peeled fennel bulb into a metal bowl, adding the juice from 1 lemon.
- Segment the orange and add the halved segments to the fennel.
- Season with salt and pepper, then add the coarsely chopped parsley, chives and mint and dress with a dash of olive oil and serve.
To finish the fish and Sauce Vierge:
- Remove the fish from the baking tray, and place it on a serving platter, on top of the steamed fennel.
- Strain the remaining liquid into a small saucepan, bringing it to the boil and let it reduce by half.
- Then, turn off the heat, and add the Sauce Vierge ingredients, including the torn-up basil leaves and seasoning.
- Pour the sauce over the fish and serve with some lovely herbed Kipfler potatoes.
- 1.2 kg Snapper or similar
Nick & Sue’s Gourmet Deli
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Jar of baby capers
- pitted black olives
- pitted green olives
- Sea salt flakes
- Black pepper
Camberwell Market Fresh Fruit & Veg
- 2x whole fennel bulbs
- Red Chillies
- Cherry tomatoes
- Pear tomatoes
- Kipfler potatoes
- Fresh chives
- Fresh flat parsley
- Fresh mint
Sweeties Fruit & Nuts
- Coriander seeds
- fennel seeds