Prep:15 mins | Cook:25 mins | Easy | Serves 4
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
100g streaky bacon, finely chopped
1 tbsp plain flour
600ml fish stock
Medium-sized potato, cut into small chunks
Pinch of chilli powder
Pinch cayenne pepper
300ml full cream milk
350g fresh firm white fish fillets
250g of calamari, prawns, scallops
4 tbsp single cream
Small bunch of parsley, finely chopped
Crusty bread, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and bacon and cook for 8-10 minutes until the onion is soft, and translucent, and the bacon is cooked through. Stir in the flour and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Pour in the fish stock and bring it to a gentle simmer. Add the potato, cover the saucepan, and simmer for 10-12 minutes until the potato is fully cooked.
- Stir in the chilli powder, cayenne pepper, and season with salt and pepper. Pour in the milk and mix well.
- Carefully add the fish fillets and mixed seafood to the saucepan. Gently simmer for 4 minutes or until the seafood is cooked through. Add the cream and continue simmering for an additional minute.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. Sprinkle the soup with fresh parsley and serve hot with some crusty bread.
Please note that cooking times may vary, so it’s important to keep an eye on the ingredients as you prepare the dish. Enjoy your flavourful seafood chowder!