Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Serves: 4-6 people
Skill Level: Easy
- SECRET INGREDIENT: 1 tablespoon of curry powder (season to taste)
- 1 tablespoon butter (14 grams)
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 340 to 350 grams lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup canned lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (8 grams)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (15 milliliters)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (15 milliliters)
- 3/4 cup mushroom broth or low-sodium beef broth (190 milliliters)
- 1/2 cup peas and/or corn (65 grams)
- 2 large potatoes, peeled or unpeeled, halved lengthwise and quartered
- 1 garlic clove
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons Full cream milk (30 milliliters)
- 2 tablespoons butter (28 grams)
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, at room temperature (28 grams)
- 1 cup grated Cheddar, optional (100 grams)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C then melt the butter over medium heat in a large oven-safe pan or tray. Season with salt and pepper then add the carrots, celery and onion, stirring frequently until the vegetables begin to soften. Add garlic, then cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add the beef and increase the heat to medium-high. While it cooks, break up the beef with a wooden spoon and cook until browned through. Reduce the heat to medium, add the lentils and sprinkle with the flour; stir to combine. Add the secret ingredient (curry powder) then stir through the mixture until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Once combined, whisk in the mushroom or beef broth then add to the pan. Bring the entire mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low to simmer while making the topping.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, cover the potatoes and garlic with cold water. Season well and bring to a boil. Once the water boils, add cauliflower and cover until cooked till tender, roughly 10 to 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and cauliflower, then return to the pot.
- Roughly mash the potatoes and cauliflower. Add milk, butter and cream cheese and season with salt, then continue mashing until the desired texture is reached.
- Stir in the peas and or/corn into the filling, then remove from heat. Top the mixture with the mash by spreading an even layer across the tray, covering the entire inner mixture. Scatter grated Cheddar over the top, then place the pan on a rimmed baking sheet just in case there is any bubble over.
- Place the tray and baking tray into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the top is lightly golden brown and crisp. Allow the pie to cool slightly before serving, then enjoy.
- Lean ground beef
Camberwell Market Fruit & Veg
- SECRET INGREDIENT: Curry powder
- Garlic clove
Nick & Sues Deli or Camberwell Market Deli
- Full cream milk
- Cream cheese
- Cheddar, optional
- Kosher Salt
- Canned lentils
- All-purpose flour (8 grams)
- Tomato paste
- Worcestershire sauce
- Mushroom broth or low-sodium beef broth