4 large egg whites, at room temperature
220 grams caster sugar
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon cornflour (cornstarch)
300 ml thickened cream
A selection of fresh berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries)
2 tablespoons icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 120°C (250°F) and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually add the caster sugar, one tablespoon at a time, while continuing to beat until the mixture is glossy and the sugar has dissolved.
- Gently fold in the white vinegar and cornflour using a spatula.
- Spoon the mixture onto the prepared baking tray, shaping it into a round nest or desired shape.
- Place the pavlova in the oven and immediately reduce the temperature to 100°C (210°F). Bake for 1.5 to 2 hours or until the outside is crisp and dry.
- Turn off the oven and let the pavlova cool completely inside the oven with the door slightly ajar.
- Whip the thickened cream until soft peaks form.
- Spread the whipped cream onto the cooled pavlova and top generously with fresh berries.
- Dust the pavlova with icing sugar before serving.
Enjoy this light and airy pavlova topped with fresh berries as a delicious Christmas dessert!