Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Serves: 2-4 people
Skill Level: Easy
- 1 large eggplant (about 500 grams)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 750g canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (28 grams)
- 1 small onion, peeled and halved
- 1 small rind of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, optional
- 2 to 3 sprigs basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (30 milliliters)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (50 grams)
- 125g ball fresh mozzarella
- Preheat your oven to 190°C and line a baking tray with a paper towel.
- Cut off the ends of the eggplant and slice into 2-centimeter discs. Arrange the slices onto a baking tray in a single layer, and sprinkle both sides with kosher salt. Let the salted eggplant sit for about 20 minutes.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the tomatoes, basil stems, butter, halved onion and parmesan rind. Place a lid over the saucepan, and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Dry the eggplant with a paper towel then remove from the baking sheet. Remove the paper towel from the baking tray, then coat the baking tray with the olive oil and return the eggplant slices to the tray. Using tongs, coat both sides of the eggplant slices in the oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the tray in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, flipping halfway. Bake until both sides of the eggplant are golden brown.
- Remove the eggplant from the oven and top each slice with a spoon of tomato sauce. Sprinkle Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese over the tray then return to the oven until the cheese is melted for 8 to 10 minutes, then remove from the oven.
- Spoon the remaining tomato sauce onto serving plates, then divide and stack the roasted eggplant on top. Tear chunks of the fresh mozzarella and scatter it over the eggplant stack and tomato sauce. Finish by sprinkling the basil leaves over the plate, season with salt and pepper, then serve and enjoy!
Nick & Sue’s Deli or Camberwell Market Deli
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Fresh mozzarella
- Unsalted butter
- Olive oil
Camberwell Market Fruit & Veg
- Black pepper
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Kosher salt