Prep Time: 35 mins.
Cook Time: 45 mins.
Total Time: 1 hr. and 20 mins.
Serves: 4 people
Skill Level: Medium
- 1 Tbsp. fennel seeds, plus extra to sprinkle
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Carrot, finely chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, 2 finely chopped, 1 whole, peeled
- 1/3 Cup (80ml) Beef liquid stock or Chicken liquid stock
- 2 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 20g Fresh breadcrumbs
- 700g Italian-style pork sausages, casings removed
- 2 Tbsp. sundried tomato pesto
- 2 x 375g Packets Careme All Butter Puff Pastry
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- 600g Pontiac potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 100g Mascarpone
- 60g Unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 1/4 Cup (100g) grated parmesan
- Caramelised onions, to serve
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Using a mortar and pestle, pound fennel seeds until coarsely ground.
Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onion and ground fennel seeds, and cook for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add carrot and chopped garlic, then pour in the stock. Bring to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes or until evaporated. Remove from heat and stir through the parsley, breadcrumbs, sausage meat, and pesto. Season. Cool completely.
Place pastry on a work surface and cut each widthways into 2 equal pieces. Divide one-quarter sausage mixture along the long edge of each piece. Fold pastry over filling, brush edge with a little egg, and overlap slightly to seal, and trim excess. Repeat with the remaining pastry and sausage mixture to make 4 long rolls. Cut each into 6 rolls to make 24 sausage rolls. Place on a baking paper-lined baking tray. Brush with egg and scatter with fennel seeds. Bake for 25 minutes or until crisp and golden.
Meanwhile, place the potato and whole garlic clove in a saucepan of cold salted water and bring to a boil over high heat.
Reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 12 minutes or until tender. Drain, then mash. Beat through mascarpone, butter, and parmesan until creamy. Season. Serve immediately with sausage rolls and caramelised onion.
Camberwell Market Poultry or Commercial Butchers:
- Italian-style pork sausages
Nick & Sue’s Deli or Camberwell Market Deli:
- Fennel seeds
- Olive oil
- Fresh breadcrumbs
- Sundried tomato pesto
- Packets Careme All Butter Puff Pastry
- Beef Liquid Stock or Chicken Liquid Stock
- Unsalted butter
- Grated parmesan
Camberwell Fruit & Vege:
- Flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Pontiac potatoes