Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 4 people
Cuisine: Breakfast / Brunch – Indian
Skill Level: Easy
- 5 cups poha 114 grams, use thick poha
- 1 large potato, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon salt divided, adjust to taste
- 1/3 cup green peas, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes
- 2 teaspoons oil, (your choice, avocado oil recommender)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 5 tablespoons raw peanuts
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1 green chili chopped
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- fresh chopped coriander
- 1/2 lemon juice
- To cook the poha, add the packet to a strainer and rinse under running water until it turns soft. To check if it’s done, press one of the flakes between your fingers, it should break easily. Add turmeric and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the poha and toss to combine then set aside.
- Pre- soak potatoes and peas in a bowl of warm water for 10 minutes. Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds and let them pop. Then, add the peanuts and sauté for a minute or two until they start turning brown. Add the chopped onion, green chili and curry leaves and cook for 2 minutes until the onions soften. Add pre-soaked potatoes and the green peas, then mix and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the rinsed poha and toss to combine. Taste test and if it feels dry, sprinkle water all over and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Finally, add the sugar (if using) and coriander, then cover the pan and turn down the heat to low. Let it cook for 2 minutes then turn off the heat and squeeze fresh lemon juice over the pan. Garnish with more coriander, serve and enjoy!
Camberwell Market Fruit & Veg
- Green peas
- Mustard seeds
- Red onion
- Green chili
- Curry leaves
Sweeties Fruit & Nuts
- Your choice of oil