1 kg of potatoes (suitable for roasting, such as Russets)
60 ml duck fat
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: Fresh rosemary sprigs or thyme leaves for extra flavour
- Preheat your oven to 220°C (425°F).
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into evenly sized chunks or wedges. Rinse them in cold water to remove excess starch, then pat them dry with a kitchen towel.
- In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes and parboil them for about 5-7 minutes, just until they start to soften around the edges. They shouldn’t be fully cooked at this stage.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Gently shake the pot to roughen up the edges of the potatoes. This step helps create a crispy exterior when roasted.
- In a roasting pan or baking sheet, heat the duck fat in the oven until it’s hot and melted.
- Carefully add the parboiled potatoes to the hot duck fat in the roasting pan. Turn the potatoes to coat them evenly in the fat.
- Season generously with salt and pepper. Add fresh herbs like rosemary or thyme if desired.
- Roast the potatoes in the preheated oven for about 40-50 minutes, turning them occasionally, until they’re golden brown and crispy on the outside.
- Once done, remove the potatoes from the oven and let them drain on paper towels briefly to remove excess fat.
- Serve the duck fat roast potatoes hot, seasoning with additional salt if needed, and enjoy!