Prep Time: 15–20 mins.
Cook Time: 4–5 hours
Total Time: 4 hrs. and 15 mins. – 5 hrs. and 20 mins.
Serves: 4-6 people
Skill Level: Medium
- 5 Cups skinless duck breast fillets, cut into 1- to 2-inch chunks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 Cup flour
- 6 Slices bacon diced
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Cups diced onion
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Cups dry red wine
- 3 Cups beef stock
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 1/2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Bouquet garni (fresh rosemary, thyme, and bay leaves tied together with string)
- 500 Grams quartered fresh mushrooms
- 2 Cups quartered small red potatoes
- 3 Carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- Fresh Italian parsley, minced
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Season the duck with salt and pepper. Toss it with flour to coat evenly. Then shake off any excess flour.
- In a large, heavy oven-safe pot, cook the bacon over medium heat until it is lightly browned. Add the olive oil and heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Toss in the duck pieces and cook, stirring often until evenly browned. Add the onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, wine, and beef stock. Bring to a boil, cover with a lid or foil, and place in the preheated oven for 3 to 4 hours or until meat can be broken apart with moderate pressure.
- Add remaining ingredients except Italian parsley. Liquid should just cover the contents of the pot; add more beef broth if needed. Return the pot to the oven for another hour. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the stew into bowls and top with Italian parsley.
- Duck breast fillets
Nick & Sue’s Deli or Camberwell Market Deli:
- Olive oil
- Beef stock
- Tomato paste
- Sliced bacon
Camberwell Fruit & Vege:
- Fresh mushrooms
- Small red potatoes
- Fresh Italian parsley
- Bouquet garni (fresh rosemary, thyme, and bay leaves tied together with string)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Dry red wine