1 box chocolate cake mix (prepared as per instructions)
2 cups whipped cream
1 cup dark chocolate chips (the best quality you can find)
2 cups fresh cherries, pitted and halved
1 cup cherry jam or preserves
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon sugar (optional, for sweetening the cherries)
1/4 cup cherry liqueur (optional, for added flavour)
Fresh mint leaves for garnish (optional)
- Bake the chocolate cake as per the instructions on the box. Once baked, let it cool completely and then cut it into small cubes.
- In a bowl, mix the cherry jam with the cherry liqueur (if using) and stir until well combined. Toss the fresh cherries in this mixture. If the cherries are tart, you can add a tablespoon of sugar to sweeten them slightly. Let it sit for about 10-15 minutes to macerate.
- In a clear glass bowl or individual serving glasses, start layering the trifle. Begin with a layer of chocolate cake cubes at the bottom.
- Add a layer of the cherry mixture over the cake cubes, followed by a layer of whipped cream or whipped topping.
- Sprinkle some dark chocolate chips over the whipped cream layer.
- Repeat the layers until the glasses or bowl are filled, finishing with a layer of whipped cream on top.
- Garnish with additional cherries, chocolate chips, and fresh mint leaves if desired.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving to allow the flavours to meld together.