We’re in the middle of winter, where the cold, crisp weather can sometimes be miserable. However, it’s the perfect time to indulge in the wonderfully warming world of chowders. These rich, creamy broths filled with delicious chunks of seafood goodness are sure to warm your soul. Here are our top tips for making the perfect chowder:
- Start with a Flavourful Base: Enhance the richness of your chowder by rendering bacon, pancetta, or chorizo. Use the resulting fat to sweat your onions or leeks. This step will ensure that the flavours in your chowder shine.
- Use Good Fish Stock: You can either purchase fish stock from your fishmonger or ask them to set aside fish heads for you to make your own. Simmer the stock slowly for as long as possible to develop a deep and rich base.
- Choose Firm White Fish Fillets: Place whole fillets into your simmering broth. They will gently cook and break apart into bite-sized chunks when done.
- Don’t Skimp on the Seafood: If you’re putting in the effort to create this magical dish, be generous with the seafood!
- Incorporate Fresh Herbs: Thyme, parsley, chives, and bay leaves are all excellent choices. These herbs are subtle enough not to overpower the seafood but still provide the perfect complement to the flavours. Fresh herbs work much better than their dried counterparts.
Serve your chowder with the freshest, crustiest bread you can find, and you’ll enjoy a bowlful of comforting seafood bliss.
Try our recipe for Simple Seafood Chowder, here.