Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hour 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 hour 45 minutes
Serves: 6 people
Skill Level: Easy
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 lamb shanks, French trimmed
- 3 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, coarsely chopped
- 1 brown onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves picked
- 500ml (2 cups) salt reduced liquid chicken stock
- 185ml (3/4 cup) white wine
- 110g (1/2 cup) pearl barley
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh continental parsley
- Preheat oven to 150C/130C fan forced. In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, heat the oil and brown the lamb in batches until golden brown then transfer to a large roasting tray.
- Add the tomato, celery, onion, bay leaves and rosemary the tray then pour in the stock and wine until everything is covered. Season. Cover the tray with foil then place in the oven to bake for 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for a further 30 minutes or until lamb is tender.
- Take the tray out of the oven then remove the lamb shanks and place into a large heatproof bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge until required.
- Pour the remaining liquid into a heatproof jug, cover then place in the fridge overnight or for 4 hours to allow the fat to harden on the surface. Once hardened, remove the fat with a spoon and discard.
- Pour the liquid into a casserole dish or saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium then add lamb, vegetables. Add the barely and let simmer for 20 minutes or until the barley is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the casserole dish form heat, sprinkle with parsley and extra rosemary, serve and enjoy.
- Lamb shanks
Camberwell Market Fruit & Veg
- Celery sticks
- Brown onion
- Dried bay leaves
- Fresh rosemary
- Fresh continental parsley
Nick & Sues Deli or Camberwell Market Deli
- Olive oil
- Pearl barley
- Salt reduced liquid chicken stock
- White wine