Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours and 30 minutes
Serves: 4 people
Skill Level: Medium
- 1.2 kg piece boneless pork belly, skin scored at 5cm interval+
- 1 tablespoon sea salt flakes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2½ cups (625ml)cloudy apple juice
- ¼ cup (60ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 6 sage sprigs
- 4 small red apples, halved
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Rub salt into the pork skin and drizzle with oil.
- Place the pork, skin side down, in a deep-sided roasting pan and roast for 1 hour. Remove any excess fat from the pan with a spoon and discard.
- Turn the pork, add the apple juice, vinegar, sugar and sage and cook for a further 40 minutes or until the skin is golden and crunchy.
- Add the apples to the pan and cook for 20 minutes or until and the apples and meat are tender.
- Serve the pork with roasted apples and the pan sauce and wilted greens tossed with garlic oil.
Note: To ensure the perfect crackle, before starting this recipe score the skin at 5cm intervals. Dry the pork in the refrigerator, uncovered for 3-4 hours or until the skin feels dry to touch.
Commercial Butchers or Camberwell Market Poultry:
- boneless pork belly
Nick & Sue’s Deli or Camberwell Market Deli:
- vegetable oil
- apple juice
- apple cider vinegar
- caster (superfine) sugar
Camberwell Fruit & Veggie:
- sage sprigs
- sea salt flakes